Library membership is free to residents and taxpayers of Unity, Thorndike, Troy, Freedom, and Burnham. Non-residents may purchase a one-year card or a temporary card (for a three-month period). Library users must hold a card to enjoy many library services.
Non-residents…………….…..$20 (one fee allows cards for each household member)
Temporary (3 months)…….…$10 per individual
Books, CDs, DVDsaudiobooks, Discovery Kits – 14 days
Materials that are checked out or on order may be reserved. You will be notified when the item you want is available. Notifications are via email, text message, or phone call.
All materials may be renewed five (5) times unless reserved by other borrowers. Materials may be renewed over the telephone or online using your library card’s barcode number.
We do not charge late fees.
The borrower will be charged the full cost for lost books, videos, devices, etc. We do not accept replacement materials in lieu of the charge.
Materials owned by our consortium may be obtained through an inter-library loan. To view items within the consortium, select “Balsam Libraries” in the “Library” field in the catalog search.
If you wish to donate books, please call the Library (948-BOOK) so that one of our volunteers can give you a call to make timing arrangements.
We ask that donations be limited to 2 bags or boxes unless you have made special arrangements with the library.
Sorry, but we cannot accept the following:
- Items that appear to be moldy/mildewed or that have a musty odor
- Books with stained or torn covers
- Books with content that is underlined, highlighted &/or annotated
- Encyclopedias (unless they are more than 100 years old)
- Readers Digest condensed books
- Vinyl records, cassette tapes, and VHS tapes
- Most textbooks (call first to see if the age and topics of the textbooks you want to donate will be something that we feel our buyers will purchase)
- Medical or health books more than 3 years old
- Technical or computer books more than 2 years old
Once donations are accepted, they may be added to the Library’s collection, sold at a book sale or via an on-line outlet. In the event of items being sold, the proceeds are used to support library programs.